Wednesday, September 10, 2008

About ACCESS

ACCESS stands for Alabama Connecting Classroom, Educators and Students Statewide. The program is designed to provide educational opportunities at schools that might be at a disadvantage. Many high schools in Alabama can't afford and don't have the resource to provide advance studies classes or dual enrollment classes. Along with the advance course, s0me schools don't offer certain foreign languages, and some remedial classes are provided through ACCESS. Through ACCESS a teacher at a different school can teach to this students through technology. The learning can be done through the web or it can be done through video conferencing. The instruction through the web is recorded and played later for the students to watch. The video conferencing is simultaneous. It is live and has audio and video on both ends of the connection. Student assignments, test, and grades are done through the internet from the teacher at the other school.

I think that ACCESS is a great program, and it is a step in the right direction for the opportunity of equal education for all students. I think that is a huge step forward, and that it will many great improvements to make the system even more efficient. I would love to have an ACCESS lab in my school, and do whatever I can to help students get a exceptional education. I would be willing to participate in any way from teaching an ACCESS class to being the monitor on the other end with students. I hope that many other states are following or will follow Alabama's advancement in education. I think that it is great!

1 comment:

G.Tashbin said...

Good comments about equal opportunity for all students